Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Earnings Tuesday, Wednesday: ISRG, XLNX, BIIB, GILD, ILMN

For the stocks I follow this is a big week of earnings reports. Last week I just had AMD and Seagate (STX) report, and both disappointed by being at average public estimates of analysts.

Intuitive Surgical is first up, holding its analyst conference at 1:30 today. ISRG has been having trouble keeping up the prior pace of its surgical robot sales. But a miss today followed by a stock plunge would present a buying opportunity. ISRG used to have a sky-high P/E, but now it is reasonable, and in the long run I believe surgical robots remain promising.

Xilinx (XLNX) will report at 2:00 PM. Xilinx occupies an obscure but important part of the semiconductor industry. It will be interesting to see how demand was in Q2.

Tomorrow I will be covering Biogen Idec (BIIB) early in the morning. BIIB has been a big winner for me over the last decade. I have no particular expectations for tomorrow, but I will look for anything that might change my long-term model.

Gilead (GILD) is probably the most-followed stock that will report tomorrow, at 1:30 PM. Everyone wants to know how much Sovaldi was sold in the quarter. But watch the HIV, heart and cancer franchises too. I remain very bullish on Gilead in the long run, however any individual quarter sorts out.

And last on my list is Illumina (ILMN), the maker of DNA analysis machines. Again, it will be interesting to see how the quarter went, but that should not have much effect on the long run.

You can read my analyst conference summaries and find links to my articles at Seeking Alpha at the page listing the companies I cover at OpenIcon. Links above go the my pages for the individual companies.

Disclosure: at the time this article was written I owned AMD, XLNX, BIIB, and GILD stock. I did not own the other stocks mentioned, but I am always looking at a good price point to by stocks, and reserve the right to buy them at any time. I am an investor, financial researcher and writer, not a financial advisor, so nothing in this article should be construed as advice or anything other than an opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment